Monday, May 17, 2010

Cartagena de Indias

Ever since reading (and subsequently re reading) Love in the Time of Cholera five years ago, I've had a vivid image of an old city in my head, where flowers spill off colorful balconies, the parks are filled with people, and the sea is right there. I came to Cartagena, and found my city!!! It is no wonder that Gabriel García Márquez was able to imagine such a powerful love being born in a city like this. The city is almost fake, it seems too perfect to be true (and in a sense I guess it might be considered fake now, but oh well). The buildings are well maintained, painted every color of the rainbow, all with balconies facing the streets and flowers spilling off the balconies. Horse drawn carriages carry couples through the cobblestone streets at dusk, there are trendy fusion restaurants on every corner, ladies dressed like Carmen Miranda ready to cut up a fresh fruit salad for you, it's just divine! I've spent hours wandering aimlessly, letting my mind wander back to the olden days when the city was bustling. I went to the Palace of the Inquisition, where they had a whole room dedicated to the torture devices used during the inquisition, but the building was super nice and had a.c. inside.

Following the NYtimes article Love and Cartagena, I found the park which supposedly is the basis for the Park of the Evangels in Cholera, where the young man sat day after day hoping for a glimpse of his love, and there is even the house that supposedly was Fermina's house! This part was not exactly how I imagined it, but still close. Then I walked further down the street to the house of García Márquez. On the corner by the sea, the tall orange walls prevent you from seeing too much, but I sat outside for a while nonetheless, imagining him coming out and inviting me in for tea.

So, I can't say enough how beautiful the old town of Cartagena is. If anyone is looking for a romantic destination, this is most definitely it.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful blog, Sophie. Thanks. Gabriel García Márquez has long been one of my favorite authors.

    ReplyDelete