Tuesday, May 4, 2010

San Pedro de Atacama

San Pedro is cool little pueblo up here in the Atacama. It is pretty hippy, and therefore has had the best food in Chile for me- whole wheat spaghetti with soy meat bolongesa sauce, veggie lasanga, etc- lots of whole wheat, veggies, and soy meat!! wooh! We have taken tours to a flamingo salt lagoon, snowy mountains (what?), a little town, and then yesterday we went to laguna cejar which is a 73% salt lagoon so it is impossible not to float, it was the coolest feeling!! Then we went sand boarding down the dunes, which apparently is kind of like snow boarding, but on a board on sand (which means you have to climb up the dunes each time you want to ride down again, so tiring), I was pretty good, and the only reasons I would fall was because I was going too fast and would get scared and then just sit down and crash.. but it was really fun. If only it wasnt so tiring to get up the dunes again. Then, we drove out to valle de la luna, named so because it looks like the surface of the moon, and had a little sunset party while the sun went down over the valleys, then there were millions of stars visible... so nice!! Yesterday was a really great day! I will be so sad to leave Chile!!! Seriously my heart might break when we go across the border. Its amazing how Chile has so many different climates- the desert looks in some ways like patagonia, but it is completetly different and equally beautiful at the same time. On our drive into San Pedro we saw a full, perfect rainbow! And it was the first time in 2 years that it had rained here.

next destination: Arequipa, Peru

2 comments:

  1. Sophie, I am glad that you made it to the northern desert - the images will be in your mind forever. What an adventure you are having! And, it makes me happy that your trail is pointing homeward, via Peru and Columbia. My prayers are with you all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophie! I'm so jealous. Can I please live viacariously through you. Be careful. Ha ha I sound like a mom. I'm excited for you to get home.

    ReplyDelete