Monday, May 24, 2010

Islas del Rosario

On Tuesday I woke up early and caught the boat out to the Islas del Rosario (to playa blanca). The beach is long, with fine white sand and shack restaurants lining the whole way down. I got off the boat and got comfortable on the sand to finish reading Angels and Demons. The second I layed down I was surrounded by at least 5 local men trying to make conversation as I was obviously reading, trying to sell me bracelets, oysters, and who knows what else. Women kept coming by and trying to convince me to get a masage, some of them would even start touching me and saying 'oh no this masage is for free! a present!' (definitely not for free). But, I tried to focus on my book. Other than the sellers, the beach was pretty quiet and empty. The water was a gorgeous shade of light, clear, electric blue and the ocean was super calm. I got some good work done on my tan, and besides the people it was a relaxing, nice day at the beach.

one funny thing about colombia- the coffee is great, but the largest cup size appears to be a 2 oz serving...?
also the men here have their own catcall- psst...pssst....pssssst...PSST!PSST!PSSST!!!!! (which I don't understand, it's like i'm obviously ignoring them, but they just keep getting louder and louder) I feel like 80% of the car wrecks here could be attributed to men craning their neck through the window to get a good long look at passing ladies.

2 comments:

  1. Sophie, this one made me laugh. While I still marvel at your adventurous spirit, I had to chuckle at the attention you draw from the local men - they have seldom seen anyone as beautiful as you - and men as you know, well ... you know!
    As I read this blog, with amusement, I pictured you reading your book, on the beach, wearing a burqa! ..NOT. Well, stay safe, have fun and hurry on home.. Love J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously! I am working on the burqa concept, it´s gotta be light weight, quick drying fabric.. but it would make my days so much more peaceful

    ReplyDelete